Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 11: Pushing, Slipping

Yesterday I did my workout in the gym to avoid destroying my friend's furniture (last week I had some close calls with the living room furniture, the ceiling light, and his dog).

There was a class going on in the mirrored "group fitness" room in which I like to do my thing, so to kill time I hit the treadmill. I haven't been on one of those in months. I thought I missed running. I watched CNN, I lost myself. But twenty minutes into it I was so bored and resentful. My knees were angry with me. I wanted to start the real workout.

Finally, I got to my PCP moves! Completing the push-ups with the bars, though a gazillion times more difficult, are yielding some serious results. I feel myself sitting straighter on the subway, in class, as I type this little here blog! I can't wait to build a stronger upper body so that I can actually pull and lift myself up and out of just about anything - a fence, a window, a horse.




Now for a confession.

I debated ignoring this little Saturday night slip up (what happens on Saturdays stays on Saturdays??) but what's the point? We're here to be transparent, to admit our mistakes and grow from them.

So, on Saturday I found myself unusually stressed out with the apartment search, and after a rough conversation with an old friend, I felt defeated. At a birthday party later that evening, I couldn't seem to relax. I also didn't eat enough that day, having taught from 8 am - 3 pm with no food (it's just too hard to eat that much while teaching!). My mind kept racing with negative thoughts; I felt anxious, unsettled. Rather than talk myself out of sabotaging my health, my promise to myself, I had a drink. Just one. But it was a big one.

I know this slip does not signal the end of the world, but I'm embarrassed about how I cheated myself of the opportunity to maintain discipline during the first week of this plan.

So...who else is having these issues? And what are you doing to stay strong?

6 comments:

  1. I can totally relate—I am an emotional eater. Whenever I want to put some food on a problem, I find it helpful to stop and ask myself what it is I really want. A hug? Some space? I can usually put it on something. Then, a cup of tea and a few minutes of stillness are in order. If that doesn't work, I indulge but try not to beat myself up over it.

    Thanks for sharing! I think it helps to let it all hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's much more important that you thought about having the drink than that you actually had it. Keep having moments like that where you're consciously consuming, and you'll find you just don't want to consume as much anymore. Nice work!

    And any other PCPers reading this, learn the lesson well, share your failures, so that they may be transmuted into successes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can also totally relate. I'm totally jonesing for something salty ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support, everyone! Patrick had this the other day on the blog: "For any desired physical fitness outcome, there is a corresponding mental transformation that will get you the results permanently..." I'm getting to know my psychology, and that's the first step to making change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you Shivani! Lattes at work and bacon cheeseburgers after work are usually my tools for stress relief...

    For my late night PCP snack I have been having strawberries (140 grams) and lowfat milk (250 ml), and let me tell you, strawberries and milk are the way to go if you're looking for something sweet and satisfying! Highly recommended if you have easy access to fresh strawberries!

    Hawaii Kai is such a nice area and Punahou is a quality school. With all the fresh island-grown fruits and veggies and the nice sunny weather, Hawaii is definitely an easy place to live healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I wouldn't give to be in Hawaii at the moment *stares at cold wet Glasgwegian streets*

    ReplyDelete