Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 1: Overnourished. Apparently I am.

Aloha! Welcome to my blog.

I'm kind of scared to be here, and a little nervous that there are pictures of my bare midsection on the interwebs, but whatevs. Maybe you'll want to rock the PCP after reading, just like I did after watching my girl, Emily, from last season, become even radder and badder than before (didn't think that was possible. You rule, gurl!)

This is what I was thinking as I approached my first day as a PCPer:

Once upon a time, when I was a high school teacher (that project also lasted around 90 days, yet did not yield the same results I'm hoping this will. And p.s., every high school teacher on the planet, especially my mother, deserves a medal/hope diamond/gold star the size of Kansas), I was required to watch some videos on classroom management by this guy named Harry Wong.


As much as I wanted to hate on him, I kind of loved the guy. He made a good, pretty obvious point about teachers and their responsibilities to students on the first day of school, a rule that applies to all "beginnings," which is that THE FIRST DAY CAN NEVER BE DONE OVER. How a teacher behaves on this non-refundable day sets the tone for the rest of the year. We can never go back. The children will remember it always (i.e. if you come off as a slacker, they will attack.)

I hope this rule doesn't apply to diets, or to this blog, because all day my inner monologue was full of slacker-isms. I kept wondering if this week's task, to "only consume half" of what we normally eat meant that I could drink half a bottle of wine tonight.

Yeah, I'm greedy. I probably eat way too much. I hope this, among other behaviors, will change over the next 90 days. I am determined to prove that I can stick to a program this structured and rigorous, which is an important challenge to meet since I've been on the verge of quitting so many other projects in life (more on that later).

Thanks for reading, and good luck to the rest of my team! I'm so happy you're here.

5 comments:

  1. Go Poca! Go Poca! Go! Go! Go Poca! (You can't see me, but I'm totally doing the Cabbage Patch on my couch.)

    You can do it! I totally understand where you're coming from with the quitting business. That was my biggest challenge too, but after a few weeks, it becomes routine. Happily, it's only 3 months—you can already see the light! And it's highlighting abs you can bounce a quarter off of...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya Poca. It's Saturday and I'm contemplating drinking a half a bottle of wine tonight instead of the typical whole one. LOL Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me more!! What is this?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're all cheering for you, Shiv! Your determination is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing - I'm completely impressed & proud ... & intrigued to learn more about this program! xoxx

    ReplyDelete