Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 3: Revolutions not Resolutions


I approached last night (Saturday) with some fear, knowing that I was going to see friends with whom excess drinking and eating is routine. I left the house hungry, because like an idiot I'd only had a small lunch (no breakfast--never again, never again will I skip this meal) of egg whites, broccoli, and half an apple.

So there I was, with the people and treats I love most in the world, all at one table: friends, family, and french fries. And I mean, hella frenchfries. French fries heaped on plates surrounding me like a barricade.

My line of defense involved chicken soup. I tried a friend's fry, and ended up drinking two glasses of wine (this is an accomplishment people--seriously). Instead of the usual sugar-salt-liquor induced buzz that accompanies most of my restaurant meals, I was focused on the food, the conversation, and the newlywed bliss of my dear friends, Toni and Scott.

Later, I felt like a failure for having the wine. Or maybe just half of a failure (since we're cutting back on food, why not self-flagellation too?). Instead of scolding myself for being a wimp who couldn't just follow directions, I kept thinking about next week's picture, what I was going to look like, and why I couldn't stop obsessing about my image.


Here's a sampling of my destructive inner thoughts: You're so vain. People around the world are suffering, have lost their homes, their loved ones, and you're twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to decide if you should reach for that goddamn fry. GET A LIFE.

Surprisingly though, this morning, when I finally figured out how to upload my first day picture, I thought, hey, that's not so bad. I have always been self-conscious of my lower body, and was surprised that the photo didn't reflect what my usual dysmorphia.



A picture can tell us a lot, but our thoughts speak the real truth.

Rather than simply resolving to let go of the pressure I put on myself to look a certain way (isn't it funny how we can see the beauty in others, and not ourselves?), I am going to make it my goal, my mission, to be motivated with thoughts of how a stronger body is going to REVOLUTIONIZE my life. How when I'm fit, I'm happier, faster, calmer, nicer...you know the drill. Better prepared to change the world. One plank pose at a time.

Sending my fellow PCPers lots of luck, high fives, and fist pumps. You guys rule!

8 comments:

  1. Welcome Shivani!

    It can be difficult trying to get into the best shape of your life while hanging with friends who are "living it up"!

    Just wait, though, when you start knocking their socks off with your brand new body! Then we'll see who's really living it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks E...it's getting easier actually. Your success has been really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes: "since we're cutting back on food, why not self-flagellation too?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was curious as to white form of "fighting" you were interested in. I trained in Muay Thai for a few years and I am dying to get back into it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby, am anxiously awaiting for your next post! And, I'm inspired to cut down everything by 1/2 too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not awaiting "for" - just "awaiting"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're all vain to a certain extent. Leverage that human foible and use it to get you over the hump when times get tough. The funny thing is that when your body is looking smokin' hot, you will have transcended the vain thoughts that got you there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shivs, you're an inspiration. Patrick says it best - "when your body is looking smokin' hot, you will have transcended the vain thoughts that got you there." Go Shivi!

    ReplyDelete