Friday, March 19, 2010

Anger Management


After my last post, Patrick suggested that I watch my thoughts. I'm watching, and they don't look very good.

I'm ashamed of the things that have been running through my mind, if only as lightening bolts of negativity, toxic flickers. Some of my cruel sentiments were directed at this kid who kept banging into my basket with a plastic sword at the co-op. Then he started hitting my leg with it (ok, not hitting, but aggressively tapping), while his mom watched the whole thing before finally deciding to try her hand at, I dunno, DISCIPLINE?

Then, last night as I did my exercises in front of the television (not a good idea when you're on a self-righteous, angry stint), I was shouting at the commercials, much to the dismay of my sister. I mean, does this country really need food commercials? Or drug commercials? Or diet plan/pill commercials?

My favorite ad of all time is the one in which the woman has an orgy with a piece of chocolate. Seriously Dove, Nestle, whoever you are. Thank you for sexualizing - and perhaps reinforcing the myth of - women's 'addiction' to chocolate. Would you ever show a man popping an M & M with his eyes closed, head thrown back, sighing in sugary ecstasy? Running silky fabric down his legs as one might a negligee?




Along with my rage against consumerism, the workout and I are not getting along like we used to. I seem to be getting weaker, or maybe I'm approaching the exercises with more trepidation. The scariest of all are the floor jumps. I get all nervous before I get to them (like now. Just the thought of having to perform these makes my knees ache).

So, I've decided to post some positive, inspiring images before I start jumping. Hopefully these will dilute the psycho-warrior tendencies brewing inside me...





This is what I plan to wear to the boxing gym on Day 90:

3 comments:

  1. Exactly the right moves. Adding positive thoughts, not trying to shut away the negative ones, and communicating. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also tremble with the thought of 5 sets of triceps deeps, and they used to be my favorite!!
    Cool boxing outfit. They are going to need more than one ventilator at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete