Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fun Housin'



People have been talking a lot about the positive responses their changing physiques have elicited from friends, loved ones, etc. I have to say that no one's really commented on my biceps (what's up people?), and that I myself have only noticed major changes in the upper body. It's the only part I can see in the bathroom mirror (still no full-length). I tried to check myself out in the H&M dressing room, but those mirrors are so damn distorted! Same with the gym. Sometimes the slimmifying is so over the top. And no matter where I look, the parts I've always hated still exist. How's that for destructive thinking?

I think I'm okay with not "seeing" what's going on. We do so much weighing here - of chicken breasts, broccoli, and oatmeal (that's a messy one), so I'm not interested in stepping on the scale. Yeah, I feel my belt getting looser, and oh, my sneakers basically feel like they could slide off at any moment (I'm exaggerating). Sort of.


A sign of overall weight loss? I hope! My exhausted booty nearly tripped over my super sized Saucony's as I finished today's jumps.

I'm also trying to wean myself off the four cups of coffee a day. Although I almost got hit by a bus while running across the street to the Starbucks before class (it's true, folks. Addiction will kill you). I only had three cups today, and tomorrow I'll take it down to two, and then...I'll go totally insane and you'll have to read more posts like this.

But seriously. After I read Patrick's blog post about the woman who goes to the vending machine everyday, I tried to pay attention to the moments I felt I "needed" coffee. Besides the morning cup, and the one I "needed" at 6 p.m. to keep myself awake at my desk, I noticed that I tend to crave the stuff when I'm about to tackle a task I don't like: grading papers, teaching, work meetings, reading things I don't want read but should probably read because I have to teach it. You know the drill.

Coffee makes me less miserable. Adds some sweetness to my drudgery. Which means I MUST make time for writing my novel or else I'll turn into this guy:


Until next time! Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Weird, never heard of people's shoes getting looser, but if you happen to store fat in the feet, it'll come off there for sure!

    Good luck with the coffee, I struggle with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe try green tea? But try to find a place that sells it loose. I find it has a much bigger kick than the pre-packaged brands.
    I've also struggled at times with my coffee intake. Now I'm down to one cup a day, which I have in the morning and then I have a few cups of green tea throughout the day. I know the caffeine level is similar but the "high" is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poca,
    I've been following your impressive progress! I had to kick coffee when I was preggo and what I found worked super-well for me was switching to half-caf and then gradually decreasing the amount of caf down to near zero. That way I still got the coffee ritual w/o the caffeine. And, you don't have to go cold turkey and deal with nasty withdrawal headaches--I felt almost nothing as I titrated off the stuff. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shivani, now I can only see your pictures and imagine your huge clown feet. Must make those pistol squats a bit easier!

    ReplyDelete