Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 47: The Salt March



Alright, Mohandas Karamchand, Mahatma, the big G. I know that whole salt thing was a big deal. Those Ungrezes and their despotic colonial project. It was a drag. And I'm glad you made it after marching 24 hours to Dandi, and that you exercised your god-given birthright to that fine Indian salt!

But did it have to make its way into everything? Seriously. I have a bone to pick with some of my ancestors and their pickling practices. Behold the Indian salsa (I can't believe I have survived 47 days without this):



I miss me some achaar, ya'll. It's been so long since I've even seen a bottle of mixed pickle! Thus I can't report its sodium content.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot about these, the beloved sodium-filled papadum.... I used to eat these for dinner (that is, when I was out of popcorn).



I've thought about my visits to the motherland so many times on this PCP journey. I'm like hey, this is how my grandmother ate! Finally I've unlocked the secret of the Drop 20 Bombay Diet - as my sisters and I used to refer to the weight loss that accompanied our childhood summer trips to India. Literally, I'd cry every time I heard my mother was forcing us across the sea, forcing us to miss exciting things like camp. Who needs the Taj Mahal when there are ropes courses, corn syrup-soaked shaved ice and boys with braces ahead?

We'd whine all the way through Narita and Bangkok, all the way to Bombay, where we'd spend a month not lifting a finger, let alone a jump rope, squealing at all the "fattening" food our aunties, uncles, aunties' friend's cousin's brother's grandma's sister's in-law's cousins forced us to eat. And I'm not talking monastery, ashram, Ayurvedic type eats. I'm talking meat kebabs, thick, stuffed breads, vegetables glistening with ghee, full fat goat's milk (the horror!). Real sugar.

Miraculously, despite the sloth and daily indulgences, we'd head back to Hawai'i 10 pounds lighter, skin brighter, hair softer, etc. etc. Sort of like what's happening to us all now (minus the fat, sugar, and salt). Maybe it had something to do with eliminating preservatives and processed foods from out diet.

Another gift from the motherland that I got to enjoy today is yoga. I love my class. It's the only reason I still have a gym membership. The room is like a womb. I surrender, open up the heart chakra. I love the teacher's voice and the way she adjusts my tight hips and wayward knees. She completes me.



The only problem was that after an hour and a half of it I had no strength for the floor jumps. My legs were shaky achy. And this after I bragged about finally finishing those guys! Anyway. Onward. I also don't have the infrastructure for the kung fu sit ups (due to weak door frames, I can't hang my pull up bar). This makes me anxious, because Patrick told me I'd love them. I would like to love them. What to do instead?

8 comments:

  1. Are you allowed to use an exercise ball? I have tons of killer ab stuff for the ball. Also, ask Mickey to show you some of hers...they're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pull-up bar at the gym? You're welcome to come over to our place.

    Haha, seriously about the salt. I had to read Mark Kurlanksy's book after I finished.

    P.S. You look awesome. Those muscles...SIZZLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd also imagine daily life in India consists of more small bits of exercise as you walk here and there. Multiply those 5-10 min walks by a month and it's a big chunk of calories that a car bound US dweller simply doesn't have access to.

    Also, I did some looking around, I saw all kinds of variations, but it seems an average indian pickle you'd get your daily allowance of salt from 4 tablespoons of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel, Shivani. I live above Mother India, considered to be Glasgow's finest Indian restaurant in a city that prides itself on its Indian cuisine. The smells when I come home are amazing. And you can't beat a good poppadum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shivani, your description of vacations in India was very good. Your tale brought sweet memories of a glorious month in your motherland and a big appetite.

    When I go back to Colombia a similar transformation happens to me.

    Maybe you should look for a park with pull-up bars. Not optimal because of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, I'm coming over. I saw the pull-up bar at the gym. There were some huge dudes totally bogarting it!

    I should have intervened, but I was scared. I'll try again.

    Does anyone else have this problem? What are you doing instead?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go to the gym ... in the wee hours of the morning. I've noticed that the proportion of women to men in the gym is MUCH higher in the early hours of the morning than in the evening, which was interesting. Also, there's a lot less preening around in front of the mirrors or (for the guys) gossiping around the free weights.

    ReplyDelete