Thursday, April 1, 2010

Why are my feet on fire??

It's Spring here in da city. New Yorkers are cuckoo for cocoa puffs about coming out of hibernation. As soon as the barometer creeps past 60 they strip down to tank tops and linger on sidewalk wicker furniture at fancy French restaurants, eating mussels and downing Pinto Grigio and what not. Oh, and did I mention there's a bar with an outside patio directly under my apartment? And, that I have a tab there (free drinks if you're my bff!)?

Talk about resisting temptation.

So instead of heading downstairs for mojitos, I'm going to blog about my weird foot pain (and be super stoked about it!).

Seriously. Today I took advantage of the gorgeous weather by going on my Prospect Park run. I heart Prospect Park. I was in a bomb-ass mood. Super happy about the fact that I'd gotten some writing in today. There was no hint of the rage that overcame me the last time I was here.

The final leg of this run is uphill, and normally I struggle to sprint through the finish. Today it was easier, pleasant even. I kind of hoped the run would keep going. In my head, I heard Chariots of Fire. Actually it was Rihanna, but you know...



All of a sudden, this burning, stabbing, electric-shock like sensation erupted between my toes. It felt as though poppers were exploding in my New Balances. I had to pull over, thump my feet against the curb, and curse a bit. I kept going, but the pain continued. And now, hours later, after a bath, some stretching, and serious grilling of veggies (the grilled Okinawan sweet potato is the PCP french fry), my toes still tingle. Like they're about to go numb.

I'm going to resist WedMDing myself to death (last time I did that, I thought I had a ondontogenic cyst in my mouth). But I hope this needle-like drama will pass.

Anyone else having firey feet?

5 comments:

  1. Very weird. Both feet have the same intensity of needles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but there must be something in the air, as I had a sore foot yesterday ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is strange, I also have what feels like a bone bruise in my left foot that I had to rest today....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this is strange! I have had issues with pinched nerves in the past (in my neck, which caused crazy shoulder pain). This morning the sensation lingers in the right foot, fourth toe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, if you're getting it in a specific toe, it's definitely a nerve that's getting tweaked, bummer! One of these guys is the culprit.

    http://www.sportspodiatry.co.uk/images/images/anatomy6.jpg

    ReplyDelete