Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 33. Weak in the knees.

The floor jumps leave me quivering like a piece of panacotta, or rather, like a "16th century courtesan's inner thigh" as I once heard Nigella Lawson describe the dish...

I have to stop, sit down, stretch my legs out and massage my knee caps after about 12 of those bad boys. I am keeping my hands out to avoid falling over, but I still land with a huge thud that makes me happy I live above a bar.

The other notable occurrence involves my V-Day indulgence, which was pretty boring. I decided to go for quality instead of quantity with some super awesome dark chocolate, a fig, and some spoonfuls of this chocolate mousse pudding that I tried to make for my sweetie (didn't come out so great - secretly I was stoked because how can one be led astray by droopy bland pudding?). It happened so fast, it was over, we laughed, we cried, I wanted sugar and white bread all night. Seriously, I kept thinking about ripping apart huge doughy processed wonderbready baguettes and smothering them in Nutella or something.

Speaking of sweets, I went back to my roots to come up with some breakfast friendly veggie dishes. Check out this carrot halwa. Mine didn't look this good:


But it was pretty ok...just boil your allotment of milk and carrots (the full portion of your veggie quota) and add a few cardamom seeds, cinnamon, clove, saffron if you have it, until the carrots are soft and the milk has evaporated. The natural sugars in the carrot make this dish breakfast sweet enough if you, like me, miss your morning jam.

Other than that, I've been feeling pretty good, besides wanted to switch to Lactaid for the rest of this program. Sorry to sound like a high school boy here, but is anyone experiencing a war with their stomach? I.e., letting it rip at the most inopportune moments? SERIOUSLY. I can't control it, and I wonder if it's this dairy that's making me run to the bathroom every 1o minutes.

Enough about that. Hope you're all feeling awesome and jumping up a storm!

3 comments:

  1. This is the first I've heard of halwa, but I can't wait to try it. It sounds delicious!

    I've never had any dairy digestion sensitivities (that I know of), but i know others that do, and I know they find it really uncomfortable and ill-feeling. I hope that it will get better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a stomach won't agree with the large amounts of veggies we ask it to process. Try laying off the stalky vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower. But it could be anything. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to make that carrot halwa! That was my favorite Indian dessert!

    ReplyDelete