Saturday, February 20, 2010

Not walking the talk. Just crawling.


Days after my I Heart PCP rant, I stumble, I fall.

Thursday and Friday I traveled to see one of my bffs in Cambridge, MA. I mean BFF for life. College BFF. Amiga do peito, as they see in Brazil.

She just had a baby - the cutest thing on the planet!! Siddhartha Culbreth. I was totally unprepared for my trip; even though I packed my rope & food scale, I forgot the sneakers, the elastic bands.

Thursday morning I had the proper PCP breakfast, an apple, then dinner -- which was an awesome combo of basmati rice, corn curry, lentils, and the best masala egg whites on the planet! Spice up those eggs people! All you need are some mustard seeds, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and coriander.

I was thirsty all night from the salt (I am so over salt. Who needs it?). I eyeballed the portions but didn't worry too much since I'd skipped lunch. To celebrate Sid's arrival in the world, I had a glass of wine. Delicious. Made my mouth saltier. Worth the guilt? Not sure.

The next morning, I was too embarrassed to whip out the food scale at the table. Where'd the shame come from? My friends are hella supportive and super awesome and totally cheer through this process, but for some reason I didn't want to pull out that damn contraption - which I sort of hate. I resented it -the dinky evidence that I need guidelines. Like training wheels. Like a bib. Maybe I should have squeezed into the high chair and asked my friend to feed me my allotments, just like she did with Siddlyboo, who gets his organic yumminess doled out to him in these:




Don't know why I was so resistent to the idea of measuring. I felt like the scale would have set me - the one who needs to work hard to fit into her jeans - from "them," the beautiful trim couple who have always been beautiful and trim - even post baby! I just wanted to be one of "them," an effortlessly peaky-looking lady.

At breakfast, we had no eggs. I really really wanted an egg white but made no effort to find one. I missed my veggies and grabbed a carrot from the fridge. Thought about stealing Sid's PCP friendly veggie puree and figured that wouldn't go over so well. Watched him slurp his sweet potato pea soup with envy. Second time that day I wanted to be baby again.

Lunch was at a Vietnamese place my friend suggested. I wanted to insist that we return home, where I could make egg whites, toast, and a salad, but I didn't want to be such a pain in the ass. I managed to find a salad with poached chicken and shrimp - but I'm sure the fish sauce that came on the side was loaded with salt. I had some, feigning ignorance.

Now, on a positive note, I like the new exercises. My chest dips are hilarious. I get about a half inch down, but at least I'm moving a little now (not side to side, just longitudinally). And thank god we're doing some side ab exercises (for the obliques?). I felt like the slight ripples on my upper abs were turning my torso into my brother's, and I really need my waist to be feminine so it doesn't clash with my new she-rope. Cuz' when I lie on the beach this summer I NEED TO LOOK LIKE THIS:

5 comments:

  1. Don't give yourself too hard a time, nobody can have a perfect PCP menu on the road.

    The obliques come in quite quickly so we hold off on them until people get the abdominal rectus in order first.

    Keep embracing the burn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shivani, fun experiences on the road. I was also traveling these days and it was so difficult to do everything right . Let's do it right this week to compensate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's real difficult on the road to find healthy alternatives. When I was in London, I basically devolved to bacon bunties (bacon sandwiches with ketchup in an english muffin) and hot chocolate everyday for breakfast and by the end of my two week stay my body was not happy with me (thank god that was before pcp started...) Kudos to you for finding good alternatives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The admirable part is not walking the walk 100% of the time right off the bat, but 'fessing up to & being real about the stumble and getting back on your feet. I think that shows a lot of fortitude and, in the long run, there will be a lot of stumbles. Getting good at recovering from them will be a key skill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we learn as much by 'falling off' the programme as we do by ruthlessly sticking to it. You've seen how it feels to eat salty foods and realise how little you miss it. Keep it up Shivani, you're looking great.

    ReplyDelete