Monday, February 22, 2010

Life before coffee. Who knew?


It's not the getting up at 5 a.m. part that's so disturbing. That I can do. When Patrick suggested that we try jump roping first thing in the morning I thought, no sweat (literally, no sweat. My apt is a freaking ice box at 5 a.m.) I kind of liked the idea--no creepy lawyer across the street watching me huff and puff (we still don't have curtains, sorry neighbors!), silence, peace, just me and the garbage trucks, the glowing lights of the 24 hour Dunkin' Donuts/Pizza Hut/Taco Bell combo, and a revved up metabolism to get that oatmeal up and out the system!

Yeah, right.

Then I read the part where he said we should jump before "anything" - i.e. COFFEE. Jump before coffee? Talk before coffee? Open eyes before coffee? I'm sorry, is there life BC? Does the blood even circulate sans cafe? I don't think so. I don't think I've ever done any sort of exercise in my life before first spending quality time with my boyfriend, Joe, snuggled up tight in my loving grip. I once walked into a 7 a.m. hot yoga class with a mug of it. Cuz' coffee is thicker than water, ya'll. You've heard enough of my caffeine issues so I'll shut up now.

But I tried it, just to follow the rules, because rules and structure are very important to me. After whipping myself on the ankles a few times, I found focus, a rhythm. My thumping body made a nice little beat. About three hundred jumps into it, I could breathe. It was hard, but oxygen was entering the system, waking up my heavy legs. It took me longer (um, try counting when 1/10 of your brain is functioning) but I kind of liked it. Dare I say I might try this more often! I was actually starving when it came time to eat breakfast and the coffee...it just tasted... well-deserved.

Insanely early jumping makes coffee time sweeter! And that's not all - in school later that day, I didn't scream and yell at the students who neglected to do their reading! Score!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa, 5 a.m.? Why so early? You must be in your bed very early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shivani, now I will have to try jumping before coffee. It would be good to be hungry for breakfast and if you say it's possible to find focus BC I'll try.
    Sorry for the creepy lawyer :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That extreme hunger is your body completely tapped of carb based glucose, meaning it's going to turn to fat stores to keep you jumping. And that's the magic of 5 am jumprope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess who is off to his bed at 9 p.m. then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eventually that morning jumprope become addicting. My day feels very off if I don't jump first thing in the morning (which is 6am for me). Congratulations for finding the joy of the morning jump!

    ReplyDelete